- Barbara Merry Chief Executive
Hardy Underwriting Bermuda Limited ("HUB") is the holding company for the Hardy group of companies. HUB is owned by CNA Financial Corporation.
Hardy's business has been built around its management of and participation on Lloyd's syndicate 382, which underwrites a range of insurance and reinsurance classes on a world wide basis.
On 7th February 2008, control of Hardy Underwriting Group plc transferred to HUB via a scheme of arrangement, to effect a redomicile of the group to Bermuda and access property risks from there. At the same time Hardy Re Limited was established in Bermuda as a class III reinsurance company. 2008 was the first phase of Hardy's operations in Bermuda, with Hardy Re writing a quota share reinsurance of Hardy Underwriting Limited's participation on the managed syndicate. Then in 2009, HUB formed Hardy Bermuda Limited as an MGA in Bermuda to write a book of US property business on behalf of syndicate 382.
In October 2009, Hardy Arig Insurance Management (HAIM) was created. Based in Bahrain as a joint venture with Arig, HAIM writes construction, property and energy risks on behalf of Hardy and Arig.
Expansion has continued in 2010 with the creation of Hardy Underwriting Asia Pte Ltd (Hardy Asia), which commenced underwriting on 1 December 2010. Based in Singapore, the initial focus of this MGA is on providing property treaty solutions across Asia (excluding Japan), along with associated reinsurance protections for key clients. Building on this core account, Hardy Asia will look to develop all of the Hardy group's traditional classes where there is a demand for those lines and we are able to add genuine value to both brokers and clients.
- In February 2011 Hardy Guernsey Limited opened to write kidnap and ransom business, which is reinsured 100 per cent into Syndicate 382.
- On 2 July 2012 the Hardy Group's aquisition by CNA Financial Corporation was completed and on 3 July, HUBs Shares ceased to be publicly traded.
- Syndicate 382 was established in the early 1970's. Since 2003 the syndicate has expanded its range of business classes to include more non-marine business, including direct property, accident and medical cover, financial institutions and political risks. It underwrites across most of the major classes of commercial business with the exception of the motor and liability sectors. Details can be found at Our Business.
- Syndicate 3820 (38Twenty) was established as a separate vehicle with a view to developing non marine business in 2007. It existed for 2 years. For 2009 onwards all Hardy's business is written by syndicate 382.
Hardy Underwriting Limited is a corporate name at Lloyd's. Formed in 1994, HU is the vehicle through which Hardy provides the group's capacity to syndicate 382.
- Established 1975
- Specialist market leaders in aviation, marine and non-marine risks
- Benefits from Lloyd's market ratings of, AM Best "A", S&P "A+", Fitch "A+"
- Operates through Syndicate 382 at Lloyd's
- Holding company is Hardy Underwriting Bermuda which is owned by CNA Financial Corporation
Group Structure Diagram
Click to enlarge